– This biome is characterized by a semiarid climate & a mix of shrub communities & open woodlands.
– Temp woodland & shrub-lands receive hot, dry summers; cool, moist winters; thin, nutrient-poor soils; & periodic fires.
– Temp woodland & shrub-lands are distributed over the western coasts of North & South America, areas around the Mediterranean Sea, South Africa, & Australia.
– Woody, evergreen shrubs with small, leathery leaves; fragrant, oily herbs that grow during the winter & die during the summer are some of the more dominant plant-life partaking in a temperate woodland & shrubland.
– The growth of dense, low plants that contain flammable oils make fires a constant threat.