– The forest is made up of a variety of conifers, ranging from giant redwoods along the coast of NorCal to spruce, fir, & hemlock farther north.
– Coniferous forests acquire mild temperatures; abundant precipitation during fall, winter & spring; relatively cool, dry summer; rocky, acidic soils.
– Dominant plant life in a coniferous forest consist of Douglas fir, Sitka spruce, western hemlock & redwood trees.
– They are usually found along the Pacific coast of northwestern United Sates & Canada, from NorCal to Alaska.
– Because of its lush vegetation, the northwestern coniferous forest is sometimes referred to as a “temperate rain forest.”